SMR achieving Net Zero
SMR News Uncategorized
Following on from our recent post we are proud to announce our next step towards SMR achieving Net Zero.
Commitment to Achieving Net Zero
SMR partnered with sustainability consultants Flotilla last year to produce a Carbon Reduction Plan with the ultimate goal of achieving Net Zero Emissions by 2030.
What is Net Zero?
Net Zero is a target set by businesses and countries with the aim of limiting global temperature rises to 1.5c. Put simply, net zero means reducing greenhouse gas emissions to as close to zero as possible with any remaining emissions re-absorbed from the atmosphere. To achieve Net Zero, following science-based targets, a business must:
Step 1: Measure emissions across their value chain
Step 2: Focus on deep, rapid emission cuts, with a target of reducing by at least 90% by 2030
Step 3: Remove remaining hard-to-abate emissions from the atmosphere via carbon removal solutions.
The First Step – Understanding Where We Are
Step 1 is now complete. We have worked closely with Flotilla to review our practices and create a breakdown of our current emissions. After analysing everything we do as a practice, from personal and business travel to our energy usage, consumables and supply chain we have calculated our current Carbon Footprint. From this baseline we now have a clearer idea of what we need to do to as a business to achieve our goal of Net Zero Emissions.
The Next Steps – Carbon Reduction Plan
Now that we have our baseline the next steps are to set specific targets and formulate and implement strategies to reduce, eliminate or mitigate those causes. We will:
- Produce our specific Net Zero Plan, to include agreed actions and suggested timescales for each project along with KPI monitoring. These will include;
- Implement a Sustainable travel strategy.
- Implement better energy and carbon data collection policies to better understand our current usage
- Working with our landlords to align our strategies, including looking to install LED lighting reduced energy systems.
- Agree a ‘going digital’ strategy, targeting a reduction in waste.
- Creating a sustainable procurement policy and engage with our current suppliers to review their carbon emissions and assist them with their carbon reductions.
- Continue to commit to carbon mitigation projects to become Carbon Neutral.
- Engage with the entire SMR team and develop an employee engagement plan.
- Schedule quarterly review meetings to understand how we are progressing with our plan and adapt or seek further support and guidance where required.
We are delighted 95% of our team are already on board with our commitments, and the team will work as one to deliver our carbon reductions